Wednesday 11 March 2009

Inverness 1/2M

Last Sunday was the 25th running of this race and my 1st.
LT,IB,AB and I travelled up the day before and stayed in a geat B&B. It was a bit difficult getting a meal as the whole of Northern Scotland seemed to be eating out that night but we eventually secured a table and had a good meal.
I slept poorly but thats quite normal in a strange place.
We awoke to a windy, snowy day and after registering made our way to the cafe where we met my sister and PM up with the Crieff junior rugby club.
The race started at 1pm i very cold windy conditions.
I had briefly seen Beth form our club who was looking pensive.
I headed off smartly feeling pretty good. The 1st mile was 6.15 but thats as fast as i was to go.
The 2-4 miles are run into the wind and then uphill. My race was punctuated by energy surges then lows. At 4M i upped the effort but couldnt maintain any real speed.
The weather got worse if anything. I think I was OK until 11m then the last 2m into the wing were a real struggle.
The finish in the stadium was v welcome. I came home in 86.21 and 69th. Overall I am happy with that. I am sure the long run last Sunday slowed me. IB got under 90min which he was OK with.
The journey home was complicated by news of a 20 car pile up and heavy snow at Drummochter.
IB made the call to go home via Aberdeen. I was very focussed on my very chafed thighs having forgot @ vaseline before the race. It was a long drive back but not unpleasant as we stopped ar Fochabers for massive pancakes.
My thighs are recovering now after 3/7 and I did a 6m run today which will be my only run this week before Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment