Monday 26 January 2009

La Gomera and WHW run

Since I last posted I have been to and returned from the lovely Canarian island La Gomera.
We had a great time there and as well as some running we did 4 days walking. The island is v mountainous so it was all good hill training and in lovely weather.
I started the holiday on the Sunday by going 600m straight up hill on the road from our hotel. This seemed fine until I came down and I realised I was hammering my knees. I decided not to do that again.
I finished that week with 32 miles.
The 1st full week yielded 40 good miles over 5 days running.
The 2nd week i did 30 miles in La Gomera including a 15 miler on our only rainy morning on the tuesday. That was my longest run.
I felt overall that I really benefitted from the break in every way.

Yesterday after travelling back on the Sat I travelled over with IB and GMc to to the WHW training run for Jan.
Sadly JK couldnt join us but there were about 15 starters.
The run started in Balmaha and went out to Inversnaid and back. A total of 30 miles.
So thats 60miles for the week. V pleasing.
I found that i was feeling good and strong on the run. Its a hilly old section especially between Rowardenan and Inversnaid. It was also a miserable day so it was good to have the company.
I ran mainly with GMc and Jamie on the way out and GMc on the way back. I was v pleased with how I felt on the hills so all those La Gomera miles have done some good. It was v wet so slippy on the tricky sections.
I was fine until the last 5-6miles and the it was a struggle home.
I ate 2 energy bars. I am finding the Mule bars good. I also had 2 gels and2l of water.
It took 5 hours and 40min.
So a good day.
My right knee is a bit sore laterally but hopefully that will settle.

No comments:

Post a Comment